Strange Wondrous Quotes & Quotations
Browse or search a huge collection of quotes on just about every topic imaginable.
Topics that are especially well represented here — much more so than most collections — are those related to science & physics, mathematics, computer science & computers, philosophy, and the sciences and humanities in general (under many other subjects).
Some other favorite subjects are books & reading, cognitive bias, consciousness, discovery, genius, happiness, learning, literature, madness, poetry, programming, reality, reason, truth, thought & thinking, understanding, wisdom, and writing.
There are many passages and extended excerpts from fiction and poetry, as well as all the usual suspects, such as famous quotes, inspirational quotes, aphorisms, etc.
- men war peace: quotations involving any or all of men, war, and peace.
- war AND peace AND men: quotations involving ALL three of men, war, and peace.
- quotations OR quotes: quotations about quotations and/or quotes.
- shakespeare: quotations about Shakespeare by anyone.
- lastName:shakespeare: all quotations by Shakespeare.
- lastName:shakespeare AND (love OR reason): quotations by Shakespeare about love or reason.
- subject:mathematics: quotations on the subject of mathematics.
- subject:"computer science" AND lastName:perlis: quotations by Perlis that are tagged with the subject 'computer science'.
- "truth beauty"~3: quotations containing both 'truth' and 'beauty' within 3 words of each other.
- "brain is wider than the sky": quotations containing the phrase 'brain is wider than the sky'; note that punctuation does not need to be exact.
- poetrey~: A fuzzy search on the term 'poetrey', which finds similar but not not necessarily exact matches. This query finds quotes containing 'poetry', 'portray', 'poverty', and other similar terms.
- history AND lastName:Churchhill~ : a fuzzy search that finds quotes about history by Winston Churchill even though we misspelled his name. Try this if you're not sure of a spelling.
- (lastName:Wheeler AND firstName:John) OR subject:"Wheeler, John": quotations by John Wheeler about anything or by anybody about John Wheeler.